Friday, March 11, 2011

Where do I stay?

This past couple of weeks, I've been trying to look for a suitable accomodation for my 1 year stint in Europe. The units I've seen so far are quite promising. But of course, you'll never know. Just like what hotels do in their websites, only the best photos out of a thousand shots will be picked and posted online. Case in point, I visited Bangladesh last month for a business trip and the hotel room looked "ok" in the internet, but I never thought it would be 10 times worse in reality. I won't go in details on that, as it gives me a depression everytime I think of it.

Unfortunately, the company in Luxembourg (who hired me, if you haven't read my 1st post yet) will only give me free accomodation for a week or two. That is the reason why I started checking even if I am still here in Singapore. Pictures will do for now, I guess. Below are the useful links I have come across so far, in which I have directed the link to the English version for the convenience of non-French/German-speaking people like me:
atHome.lu - the most popular site for agents based on the number of rented homes posted.
Luxweb Habiter - limited to only 3 images per post, bummer.
IMMOTOP.LU - very useful link for me, read below.

The last link was a very good one as you can specifically categorize which type of place you are looking for. I can just choose "Fully furnished apartment" in the dropdown list and the search results would only show me those units with television set, washing machine, and bed. That are my only requirements, anyway.

The only downside in these sites is that mostly, agents post the advertisements so they may ask you additional charges such as agent's fee and other hidden costs which they will only tell you once you have paid the deposit. However, if you are on a tight budget and keen in looking for a "no-agent's-fee" type of unit, then these links might serve you right:

352luxmag.lu small ads - be careful with scammers who require you to deposit into their UK accounts.
Just Landed houses for rent - all-in-one community site which might also help you find a spouse.

If you are still wondering "Where on Earth is Europe?" then look out for my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment